Sunday, July 23, 2006

Boom Part III

This is going to sound melodramatic but oh well. Tonight I had the closest near death experience in the last 3 months. A rocket landed about 10 meters from where I was laying. I heard the explosions from 3 incoming rounds so I ran outside and took up a prone position on the ground between the sandbag walls. It was then that I heard a sound I have never heard. It sounded similar to those WWII whistling sounds you hear on TV when bombs are dropped, but higher in pitch and much faster, more menacing. Normally the rockets sound like ghosts or big zippers, but this was different (because it was so damn close) To be honest, I have thought for sure I was going to die a few times and this time was no different.

I will just stop there. Those who have never experienced this couldn’t understand. It is really scary. Any dude that comes back from Iraq and brags about how they weren’t scared is a liar. Period. They, like I, might not have panicked, but they were scared.

Anyway, I had to evacuate my hooch due to its close proximity to the UXO. So I went to the Blue Star restaurant and drank a shit load of brews to calm down. They finally opened up my section about 30 minutes ago so I can get back online and post this.

So I am done I think. They got me. The rockets got me.

Disregard. They aint gonna scare me. I will just be sure to be in a secure location at 1700. I will look for something in the Sudan or Lebanon and then I will pop smoke. The chances of another rocket landing that close again are slim, I have sandbags, and I am not going to run away from a few rockets. Sorry for being wishy-washy. Hell, I shouldn't even post this, but I had a few so here it goes. Maybe I will delete it tomorrow.

Cheers,
Walt

3 Comments:

Blogger Walt said...

Oz,

Thanks for your input. I agree with all of what you are saying and I am very close to leaving.

I sort of want to stay a bit longer just so I can have a 1001 Nights Party when I leave. I am at about 880 now so I just need to stick it out a bit longer.

I am going to post something tonight that should better explain what is going on. Last night I was rattled so I don't think I accurately reflected my thoughts.

Anyway. You are absolutely right and I genuinely appreciate your concern. If I do bite it, drink 1 for me.

I am close to purchasing a ticket to Thailand. I may move there to finish my degree and then continue on from there.

I will evaluate the indirect fire threat over the next few days or weeks and if it doesn't get better I am gone OK?

I did come here initially for idealistic resons but now it has changed. Anyway.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Amy,

Because you asked, I will not delete it. Thanks.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 4:09:00 PM GMT+4  
Blogger Walt said...

Oh yeah, it is 1609 here. Most indirect fire occurs between 1600 and 1800. So, I am going to move to villa that is a lot more fortified than my aluminum trailer. I plan to stay in a hard structure during peak times and not sit here in my hooch which appears to be the target of all these assholes with rockets.

Ok, here is a special note to any insurgents that may be reading this and homing in on my hooch:

Please do not home in my hooch. Home on the Embassy or the Iraqi Government or someone else if you have to launch these rockets. Better yet, stop shooting them so you can get a good chance at peace and worry more about your family than firing missiles. And if you do manage to take me out, I am going to have sex with all your virgins.

Cheers,
Walt

Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 4:15:00 PM GMT+4  
Blogger Stirinthepot said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, July 24, 2006 at 6:59:00 AM GMT+4  

Post a Comment

<< Home