Saturday, March 15, 2008

What an exhausting few weeks

So sorry for not uploading any new blog entries. I have been so busy with work.

Also, my AlienWare has been trying to die for about a month now, and it finally did. That thing is deader than a doornail. Good, that was one rabid dog that needed to die. Please, if you are reading this, Never buy an AlienWare computer! If you are even thinking about it, stab yourself, cause that is what you will want to do to yourself once you get the thing. Those things look great on paper and the specs are off the charts, but trust me. When something goes wrong, and it will, mine lasted about 8 hours before it started getting really crazy messages, when it goes wrong, that is the moment you will regret buying an Alienware for the rest of your soon to be miserable life. If you speak Spanish, you might be OK, but I still wouldn’t risk it. So tomorrow I will start the process of getting a replacement. I was thinking of a Dell XPS, but Dell owns AlienWare and I do not want to even risk it. I think I am going to buy something locally or fly to Dubai and buy one.

If all goes well I should be in Tajikistan next week for the New Years celebrations. I really hope I can get my Visa sorted. I am good to go on the Afghan side. I got a multiple entry Visa, good for 6 months, for about 400$. A little high, but they are hard to get. The problem was that I came in on Government Orders using my CAC, I never got an entry Visa. So when I quit that job and came to this one, I had to get a work permit. But it looked like I just smuggled myself into the country cause I had no entry stamp or entry permit. It is a good thing I work for a company owned by a prominent Afghan official or I might not have had the connections to get this done.

Well, I really do have limited time here, I am still at work using my work computer. 2 weeks ago my SimpleDrive 80 GB external drive failed. Live One killed that one. Well I waited and waited on getting a replacement, but about 3 days ago I said, you know, this POS AlienWare is going to die, and if I don’t back up my photos, I am going to lose them. Well thank God I wasn’t as lazy as I normally am. I went out and bought a 500GB Western Digital external and backed up all my stuff. (Only paid 200 bucks for it). So thankfully, I did not lose anything, it is all on my HDD. I would have been so pissed if I lost my pictures. I have lost some before. It is terrible. Now I don’t even erase memory sticks for my camera, I fill them with photos and keep them, and burn my stuff to disk all the time.

Anyway, here are some pics:

Cheers,
Walt


The cool hillside homes:


The shop I was going to:


I had to buy a Cell phone holder:


My favorite market area:


My awesome driver!


Me:


Safety 101:


Fish Market 1:


Fish Market 2:


Inside the Safi Landmark Hotel:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You look great! Glad your safe and things are going well! Take care

Monday, March 17, 2008 at 2:29:00 PM GMT+3  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good afternoon Walt,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Steve and I am the forums Administrator for Alienware. I came across your post and I have to say I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you have been having with your system and our service. It is not typical of the Alienware experience and I would like to do what I can to make this right. Please E-mail your account information to my address at Steve_lopez@alienware.com and I will see what I can do to help you out.

Best Regards,

Steve Lopez
Support Forums Administrator
Alienware Corporation

Monday, March 17, 2008 at 8:19:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger Walt said...

Bwaaaahahahahahahah

I got this same stupid reply years ago when I first posted my opposition to AlienWare.

This is an automated reply to anything that has the words “AlienWare” in it. Total bullshit.

Sorry Pedro aka “Steve” Lopez. Send your bots elsewhere.

You buy an AlienWare, you suffer, that is the truth.

Cheers,
Walt

Monday, March 17, 2008 at 8:36:00 PM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home