Saturday, July 29, 2006

No Tiltle

Slow day today. Yesterday was Friday so there were slightly more visitors to where I work than usual but nothing unusual occurred.

Lunch was interesting however; I met a former USSR officer that spent 4 years fighting in Afghanistan and the early 80s. Now he lives in the States and works for KBR. He had some pretty decent stories about what went on while he was there. Small world.

I am hoping to take leave next week for about 6 days. I have been invited to attend a military wedding at the Edinburgh castle in Scotland. I still have to sort it all out at work but I don’t think it will be a problem. I am very excited about this and I hope I can sort all the details. My sister would be joining me as well. She does a pretty good job at finding decent dudes with some decent money but I am hoping to find her one a little closer to her own age.

Anyway, not so much going on. Tonight I am going to watch some Animal Planet and call it a night. I really should work on school but I am so overwhelmed right now I don’t know how to start. I am working on a masters in International Health. I like working abroad and this degree will help me be able to continue doing just that. After all this stuff here in the Middle East dries up, which it eventually will, I will be primed to branch off.

January 2008 people. You guys are going to see massive changes in Iraq around January 08. The new US embassy is on-time for a July 2007 completion. By the time everything is all said and done and people are actually living and working at the new embassy it will be about January 2008. When that happens, many of the buildings in the International Zone will probably be handed over to the Iraqis and the US presence will change significantly. The embassy is massive BTW. I am not sure exactly how big it is but let me tell you, it is big. They have at least 6 cranes that seem to be working around the clock to get the thing built. I was at the US Chancery today. I gave a lift to 2 soldiers that didn’t know where it was and needed a passport. The Chancery is about 10000 times smaller than the new embassy. I can’t wait to visit it.

Here are some pics from Romania. I got to visit with a Legionnaire buddy of mine there. 5 nights in Bucharest and about a week in Transylvania. This is from the drive to Transylvania. Beautiful eh?



This is a really cool shot of some beer. Look at the size of those beer bottles! They actually had tables that were concave to allow fat beer guts to belly up and they would slap out 6 pints at the same time. They really know how to drink in Romania, and Czech Republic.



Cheers,
Walt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home