Friday, August 04, 2006

Contractors

This is mainly written for members of the US military. I read on a blog today that a SFC in the Army really hated contractors. He was angry because he saw a difference in how life is for some soldiers and contractors. I don’t mean to sound argumentative or anything, but I would like to point out that many of the contractors in Iraq are Gulf War 1 vets, OIF/OEF vets, Vietnam and Korea vets, former Spec ops and Rangers among others. I did my year here in the Army so I feel I have earned my right to enjoy some of the benefits. I couldn’t even have this job had it not been for the skills I learned in the Army. I feel for any of you that having a sucky time, I really do, but don’t hate me because it isn’t as bad for me. It is after all, what we both knew was coming when we signed up. I will also point out that even in the Army, we look at the Air Force and Navy with disdain for the disproportionate living conditions that we think they have, but we don’t hate them. Does anyone hate the Generals and senior Enlisted guys serving in Kuwait and Qatar and at CENTCOM because they have a pretty nice bed and AC? Of course not. The reason I bring this up is because it affects working relationships. It is not good to have us “hating” each other. I know this is a broad generalization, but I have experienced a little resentment myself from military officers who think I make too much money. (You can never make too much ya know?) Many contractors are currently in the Guard and Reserves and are using the gap between tours in Iraq and the contacts they made here to secure decent jobs. Surely there is no harm in that?

Anyway, I don’t want to argue about it, but I urge anyone in the military to appreciate what I am saying.

Anyway, so last night was Lock and Load time at the Embassy bar. (Sorry to all you military guys that can’t drink BTW, General Order Number 1 is the worst) Try this link… I had another date with Lunatic Chick who will now be known as “A” because she might not be a lunatic. It was a fine evening, we ended up going to Salsa Night at the pool.

Anyway, tonight is a BBQ at some villa here in the IZ. I have to be there in like 5 seconds so I have to keep this short. I have to remember to take a picture of our new car, what a joke. It is so bright yellow that the Taxi cabs are flagging US down.

Anyway, gotta run.

Ok I have a minute so let me post a few pics. Here are the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur.



I am probably the only person in history that loves rappelling from helicopters, jumping from airplanes and certainly the only guy that is a Commercial Pilot that is DEATHLY afraid of heights. It took me 15 minutes to work up the courage to walk to the middle of the platform halfway up the Petronas Towers.



Here is a shot down from the crossover platform.



Cheers,
Walt

4 Comments:

Blogger MasterGunner said...

WOAH.

Calm down, dude. If you're talking about This Post: http://mikegulf.blogspot.com/2005/01/misery.html

It was written almost two years ago. And if you would have read the entire post, the KBR Contractor had cut power to the entire tent city, latrines, tents, all of it: in the middle of January.

Two years ago... relax.

Friday, August 4, 2006 at 9:16:00 PM GMT+4  
Blogger Walt said...

Bro,

I only posted a link to your site to draw some attention to it. I love your site, keep it up. I am adding a link to it as well. I only used it as an example. Like I said, I am not trying to be argumentative. Keep up the good work, no hard feelings I hope.

Friday, August 4, 2006 at 11:40:00 PM GMT+4  
Blogger MasterGunner said...

Well... Okay.

And for the record, I like contractors.

Hooah.

Saturday, August 5, 2006 at 1:07:00 AM GMT+4  
Blogger Walt said...

Cool man,

As a former Tanker, I hope I did not offend. 1/10 Cav, Scouts Out!

Saturday, August 5, 2006 at 1:09:00 AM GMT+4  

Post a Comment

<< Home