Monday, July 31, 2006

Eventful Day

So, today was pretty eventful. It started out normal enough but then got weird.

I awoke a bit late today so I could cash a check. We are only authorized to cash 300$ per week, so you constantly have to go back and get money. Some of you might be thinking “what in the world do you need 300$ a week for in Iraq”, and you would be right. But when you make large purchases it can take forever to gather all the money. For example, if you buy a 1000$ rug it means you have to cash a check every week for a month and still have no spending cash. In my case I had to buy a 650$ plane ticket for myself and followed that with a 400$ ticket for a girlfriend of mine. So, I have no money. Well now I have 300$ but I have to give it to the travel agent and then I will have no money.

Anyway, I got my checked cash and was on the way to work, but I couldn’t get in because of a suspected VBIED at an Iraqi building. They have these false alarms all the time, and it takes EOD like 4 hours to clear these cars. What happens is that a dog will sit while inspecting a vehicle. If that happens they shut everything down and you just have to wait for EOD to give the all clear. Well I am not going to sit in my car for 4 hours waiting so I headed back to the hooch. I made it in later and caught up with what I had missed.

Right now, I am a bit edgy. We have a warning system here at the Embassy called the “Giant Voice”. It used to go off every time an explosion occurred in the IZ, but now it just goes off when an explosion occurs inside the embassy compound. It is essentially a huge speaker system and it incorporates a loud speaker for PA announcements as well as a wailing siren similar to those in England in WWII. It is a very eerie sound. I am sure the Israelis can attest to that right now. So after they play the wailing sound for about 30 seconds the announcement goes on.

It says”Attention in the Embassy Compound, Attention in the Embassy Compound! We are coming under indirect fire. Mortar rounds are impacting inside the Embassy Compound. Seek Cover, Seek Cover, Seek Cover.” And some this is not a drill stuff and a couple other things. A hooch is considered cover so I am just sitting here typing. I guess I could make a run for the Embassy or go to a bomb shelter, but I am not that worried about it. If they get me then they get me. I am a needle in a haystack.

But that doesn’t mean I am not a little edgy. You see, normally they tell you to take cover AFTER the rounds have landed. It’s after they land that you don’t have to worry about them. Duh. Well, I didn’t hear any land so I am wondering if they know something I don’t. At any rate. I wish they would sound the All Clear so I could go to my friends house. If I go outside now the Marines will see me and make me go to a shelter and sit on my but for 2 hours doing nothing. Screw that.

So I was able to go to the PX today as well. Since I couldn’t get to work I decided to pick up a few things I needed. The PX here is not as big as the ones at LSA Anaconda or Camp Victory, but it is about 10 times bigger than when I first got here. I am not complaining about it. They have pretty much everything you need.

Well anyway, that is about it. Let me find some cool pictures.

My old company got a certain contract and we had to paint our white vehicles blue. Here is the Iraqi Paint Shop out in our parking lot. LMFAO.





I forgot to post this on my Condi thread. I got to shake her hand and say a few words as well as snap this rather good shot. Disregard, It won't load.

Cheers,
Walt

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome you met Condi. That is really cool.
Your stories are scarey man. What the hell is " VBIED" anyway?

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 9:48:00 PM GMT+4  
Blogger Walt said...

Vehicle Bourne Improvised Explosive Device.

Car Bomb in other words.

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 11:42:00 PM GMT+4  
Blogger Unknown said...

Then say car bomb you offical military lingo guy you! =P

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 8:40:00 PM GMT+4  

Post a Comment

<< Home