Sunday, August 06, 2006

Dull Day

Not all days in Iraq are eventful. Some are outright boring and today was one of them. I left work to go to the Embassy but while I was out, a dog sat on a car so they call out EOD. This meant that I wasn’t likely to get back to work for several hours so I just went back to the embassy and chilled out.

I met a few of the new guys. The old unit departed recently and the new guys are now on the ground. They all seem very competent and I am looking forward to working with them. The bad thing is that they make me feel old. You see I was a founding member of their current unit. When CPA went away in June 04, this unit was formed. I have now watched that unit leave, the one after it, the one after that, and now in comes the new guys.

Yesterday I had cheese sticks for the first time in a very long time with mozzarella sauce. It was great! Today at lunch I had jalapeno bites and was happy as hell because it is the first time in over 2 years I have had them. Obviously being Sunday, it was Steak and Lobster night. I skipped the lobster and had a large portion of medium cooked prime rib with horseradish. It was awesome. The food here is better than at the DFACs in the United States. There is one particular buffet style restaurant that I always see at Malls. Is it Piccadilly Café? Anyway, the food here is even better than that. Absolutely no complaints from me.

I am gearing up for my trip to the UK. I booked in the Park Lane in downtown London. My sis arrives the day prior so I am a bit jealous. She will get to see some cool stuff with some friends before I even arrive. Oh well, I told her not to go to Buckingham Palace without me which is my #1 most desired place to see, and I doubt she even knows #2. I desperately want to see the final resting place of Vice Admiral of the White The Right Honorable Horatio, Viscount Nelson, Knight of the Most Honorable Order of the Bath. Bath with 1 “A”. She will never think to go there without me.

Those brits sure love titles don’t they? I think it is cool but silly. Like I would totally accept a title, but I would never be a subject to someone that had one. Ok so your dad was important and now you are a Duke or whatever. Get out of my face. I don’t know why they still tolerate a monarchy, but they sure do love it. Good on em. I am just glad we kicked their asses and made our own country. And they are still pissed you know? They will try to provoke you by calling you a colonial and saying they have bathrooms older than the US. So much jealousy, it is hilarious. They have a GDP of like 2$ and ours is like 13 Trillion. Who is laughing now POM? Hell you would be speaking German if not for us. Side bar, my bad. I really do like Brits, they are easy to wind up. Not as easy as Northern Irish but easy nonetheless.

So anyway, I get to go troddle around in England for a while. I will have to break out my best Southern accent just to annoy them:)

Well, it has been relatively quiet here the last few days with regards to rockets. Nothing to report. Heard a few distant explosions but that is to be expected. I am keeping my ears open to rumblings of a civil war in Baghdad. A few Iraqis have told me it is coming. It would explain a few things. For example, you used to be able to grab AK47s, new, for less than 175$ and now they cost over 400$. Ammo is more expensive today than it was 4 months ago. I think the Iraqis are stockpiling in the event of a civil war. I could be wrong maybe they are just greedier.

Anyway, here is a picture of my scooter. I got tired of renting one so I bought one. It cost me a whopping 1000$ for the brand new top of the line scooter. I forgot which brand it is. I think it is Yamaha. Anyway, I had it tricked out and put blue lights under the back wheels and blue chrome all over it instead of chrome. It rules. I am adding a big woofer and stereo when I get back. This girl is keeping it safe in Koh Samui which is the absolute best place to go in Thailand. I should be back in December or early January provided leave works out favorably.



Here is a cool shot from Kiev. They have so many beautiful buildings there. Here is 1.



Cheers,
Walt

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Supp Walter - I was surfing the net and stumbled upon your blog. It is hilarious. I love your bit on the brits!! FUNNY! Keep up the good work.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 6:38:00 AM GMT+4  

Post a Comment

<< Home