Monday, October 16, 2006

Howth Castle

DAY 19
1849 Hours – Mon 16 Oct

Today was a great day. I finally got my passport fixed and it only took 6 days to get it. It is amazing how fast they can get those things when you are abroad. So now I am good to go with making my reservations for my flight to Gatwick. From there I will take a doggone train south to Southampton where I will link up with my cruise. There is no Sheraton hotel there but there is a Hilton so at least I wont have to stay in a bed and breakfast or anything like that. It is also only about 15 minutes away from MonkeyWorld so I will finally get to see the place in person. I have been wanting to go there for so long. Anyway, so I have like 3 more days in Ireland to go kiss the Blarney stone if I want to. Tomorrow I think I will head to the zoo.

Today I went to some town called Howth to see some castle called the Howth Castle. Talk about boring. You can’t even go in the place, all you can do is snap a few pictures and wander off. So I had to take some train called the DART to get there and then when I got there they did not have a sign to show you where the castle was. So I decided that I would exit the train station and head to where the best place for a castle would be. I saw some high ground with the sea on 2 sides and I figured that would be the best place for a castle. Wrong. I went the wrong direction for like 2 miles. So I walked back towards the train station and spotted a church tower. Lots of castles have churches nearby so I went that way. I was right. The thing is though, this “castle” is in a horrible spot. No moat, no cliffs, not on the high ground, not defensible in any way. Whoever picked that spot to build a castle must have been a moron. The doggone lighthouse is situated more strategically than this castle. Anyway, here are some shots.





Cheers,
Walt

1 Comments:

Blogger Rex Zeitgeist said...

Damn Walter, you are a world traveling son of a gun.....Looks like you are having fun and seeing the sites.....

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 1:12:00 PM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home