Monday, October 02, 2006

Edinburgh

DAYS 1 - 5
2130 Hours – Mon 2 Oct

What a fantastic past few days I have had. So much stuff and no way to remember it all. Well I made it to Edinburgh with no more real dramas. I met up with my buddy and am currently staying at his house. I was here a while back for his wedding but only briefly. This time I am getting a good chance to really explore the town. Yesterday I went to Rosslyn chapel. It was really cool. At first I was not impressed. You know that feeling when you first see something like the Alamo? You have waited so long to see it and when you finally do, it is just not so impressive. The chapel was like that because it is undergoing restoration and has scaffolding all over it. The good news is that once you get in, all that apprehension vanishes. It is so beautiful in there and there are so many intricate details it is easy to see why there are so many people that draw so many conclusions.

Well I will post my pictures later. Edinburgh is the coolest city on Earth. It is so beautiful. You really have to come here.

All that being said, the UK is the most expensive place on Earth. Everything costs exactly what you would expect to pay, but everything is in Great Britain Pounds. For example, a beer is 6 (POUNDS). My Gap jeans cost me 55 (POUNDS), a hotel room is 180 (POUNDS). Essentially everything here cost twice what you would pay for the same thing anywhere else. I don’t know how people make it. They don’t earn twice as much. Look, a small (puny) 2 bedroom apartment costs 300,000$. Some people make payments for 30 years just to cover the interest. It is just crazy here.

Here is an example of a "flat".

2 The Still House, 11/1 Easter Dalry Wynd, Edinburgh, EH11 2TB
Offers Over £210,000


A two bedroom apartment finished to an exacting standard and occupying the first floor of an A-Listed building, formerly the Caledonian Brewery. Furthermore, the property benefits form two parking spaces. The property comprises: Vestibule, Entrance Hall, Living Room with Open Plan Kitchen, Master bedroom with Ensuite Shower Room, Further Double Bedroom, Guest Bathroom and Balcony.

This ugly crap costs nearly half a million and all you get is the ground floor and no yard. That is the actual image. Who would want that? Frankenstien? What a joke.

Well I am going to go to a pub and drink a pint or so of Guinness Extra Cold.

This is the cellar of the Rosslyn chapel. Pretty cool.



Here is 1 of many small details in the chapel.



This is a statue outside the back of the church.



This is a self shot at the side of the chapel.



Another self shot.



Cool shot across Edinburgh.



Gay, but well kept, French car



Edinburgh Castle



Well, that is it for now. I hope to go to Loch Ness in the next few days as well as the Harry Potter castle and a few other places. More to follow and then I will be in Ireland.

Cheers,
Walt

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an Irish citizen who now lives in Edinburgh, I would be interested to hear what you think about prices in New York.
I don't know what part of the States you are from but face it, man, major urban centres are, by their very nature, EXPENSIVE.

It sucks, yes, but why are you so surprised?

Thursday, October 12, 2006 at 12:44:00 AM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home