Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Checking out

Up to now the process of getting into Afghanistan has been pretty inconvenient followed by very relaxing but it is about to be painful.

The group of us from my company has been chilling in this nice Kuwaiti hotel awaiting some room at the Air Base. Fortunately it was full for a few days so we got to hang at this hotel. Well they “finally” got some room in the tents so we have to move back to the Air Base.

If you haven’t been on one of these non-permanent bases they are difficult to explain. I have pictures but I can’t post them right now. It is basically rows and rows of tents, each of which hold about 12 or so people on bunk beds. There are no TVs or wall lockers. So anytime you leave the tent, to eat, shower, etc… you have to worry about your gear getting swiped. The tents also do not have bathrooms. You have to walk a very long way in the dirt to get to the shower/toilet trailers. I will explain all that later. Suffice it to say, it sucks.

So I will be there for at least 24 hours but it could easily be up to 5 days or more. I am not sure, but I think, they have wireless internet for a fee. I am going to be very happy if they do. If not I will just be buying movies and lying on my bunk watching them. Hopefully they have electrical outlets in the tents otherwise I won’t even be doing that.

I could transfer the movies to my iPod, but I still have not figured out how to work PodMaxx yet. It looks like if I synch with my computer I am going to wipe out everything that is already on my iPod. I really hate iTunes.

Well it is now 0330 here and I have to finish packing my bags and trying to sort out some breakfast. We have to catch a bus at 0500. After that, who knows when I will reach civilization again.

Cheers,
Walt

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 5:38:00 AM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home