Wednesday, December 12, 2007

At the airbase in Kuwait

Well I am actually finally in the tents here at the airbase. Not too bad. 16 man tents, 8 bunk beds. I got the best one, way in the back, on the bottom. I unscrewed the light so if someone turns it on tonight the one over my head won’t come on.

They didn’t have any linens or anything so I had to go buy some. Cheap stuff that I can leave behind is all I got. Oh yeah, my watch broke. A great Seiko that I loved! Now I have to buy a new band for it. So I went to the PX and got a G-Shock. It actually isn’t that bad. Plus it has Indiglo which my Seiko didn’t have.

We literally have nothing to do here. You show up and have to turn your Passport in so they can get a Kuwaiti exit stamp in it. That process takes 24 hours. So you have a minimum of 1 day to kill doing nothing. After you get your passport back you have to go get manifested on the next flight to Bagram. For security reasons, and they have no clue when it will actually be, they can’t tell you when the flight will be. I can see their point about security. All they need is some knucklehead like me blogging the flight schedules of the US Air Force. I wouldn’t have put the times up if I had them because I know better, but some dumb ass might. So after you get manifested you just have to keep checking back in every few hours until you get the word to go to the staging area. The problem is that you might have to check back in every few hours for 5 days. All the while there is nothing to do.

So in anticipation of having weeks of nothing to do I bought some movies. Well they are Region 1 and my comp is set to Region 1, but I bought them at the PX here at the base. And even though they say Region 1 NTSC, they still don’t work on any of my players. I only have 2 changes left before I get locked out and stuck with whatever region I am in. So I am going to try to find some software that can convert Region 6 to Region 1. I am not sure they even make that, but I can try.

It is pretty nice to be back overseas. I was bored to tears in South Carolina. I feel like I am back at home. Just need a few explosions and whatnot and all will seem normal. This base is cool because you can watch the jets and stuff take off. They seem to sending out a lot of planes and there is the constant drone of engines from the tarmac.

I thought the base had wireless but it doesn’t. Well it does, but not where I can grab it. I get just enough signal to see that it is there, but it is too weak to use. I would have been happy as hell if I could have just sat on the net all the time. Instead I am going to the 24 hour internet café to upload my stuff and check email. I think it has been about 2 weeks now that I haven’t been able to check my Blackberry, and the twitching and convulsing is starting to subside. You never really know how dependant you are on the net till it is gone. I never intended to quit it cold turkey.

Well enough of this novel. As you can tell I have lots of time on my hands so I am just rambling. Here is some more rambling. People who snore. I hate them. Just like smokers can’t smoke in certain places, snorers shouldn’t be able to snore wherever the hell they want to. There should be a dedicated snoring area. Seriously. Snoring is more annoying than people that smack their lips while they gnaw on their food, mouths agape. Are you a human or a cow? It is just disgusting and rude.

Alright, that’s enough, I am really just rambling now. Just sitting here listening to people snore, trying not to freak out and smother them…

Cheers,
Walt:)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 12:34:00 AM GMT+3  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lets switch places my friend...for just ONE day...you take on my drama and I'll take on your boredom!!...Its all in your perspective my friend all in your perspective...take this time...breathe in...breathe out! Oh and MISS YOU!!

Friday, December 14, 2007 at 4:47:00 AM GMT+3  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 at 9:38:00 PM GMT+3  
Blogger Rex Zeitgeist said...

I hate snorers too.....I ususally carry duct tape in case I have to share a room with one.....

Hope you are doing well Walt, stop in the PWZ and say high from time to time man.

Monday, December 17, 2007 at 8:02:00 AM GMT+3  

Post a Comment

<< Home