Thursday, August 31, 2006

Gimme Out of Here!!!

Whew, it has been a busy few days. Sorry for not getting any posts up but I was unable due to computer problems and I really didn't have time. Tonight is Thursday AKA Friday night back in the States so I left work a bit early and did some laps and then cracked open an Amstel. I am looking forward to getting back to the US and having 1) a Bud Light and 2) a Keystone Light. I have been drinking Corona, Heineken, Castle, Carlsburg, and Amstel and Fosters for far too long. Give me a nice Bud Light and a warm summer day and I will be happy.

So I am close to making a deal with some dudes. It will make me a shitload of money. I hope it works and should find out what my chances are in about 10 days. I will keep you posted.

So I am going to stop in Amsterdam on the way back. I have it set up. Now I have to book my tickets back. Hopefully I can take an AirFrog 747 first class and get a nice upper deck full bed seat. My other option is a cruise. I may opt to fly to England and hop a trans-Atlantic back to Florida and then rent a convertible and drive to SC. I don't know yet but I am liking that idea. My only hesitation is the cruise thing. If they don't have a singles cruise or a nudist cruise or a hedonist cruise, I ain't taking it. The last thing I want to be is stuck on a floating Motel 6 with a bunch of old farts and kids running around screaming. I can just pop in some earplugs, toss back a Bloody Mary, throw on the complimentary socks and recline and sleep my way all the way home in style on a 747. Maybe I will see if I can get on an A380. Are those flying yet?

Anyway, it has been eerily quit these past few days. Still lots of jets but no booms. Maybe whatever they are doing in Baghdad is working cause I haven't heard an explosion in almost 4 days. Good. I am soooo not going to miss those explosions.

I am also more excited about going back. It was a very hard decision to make but now I am comfortable with it. I have a great fishing trip planned with a buddy in Texas and my dad and possibly a business associate. We are going to go to Mexico (legally) and fish El Salto and Huite. They all but guarantee you a 10 pound largemouth. My biggest so far is 8.1 pounds so I would love to snag a hog.

I have also been in touch with a few buddies and I have no shortage of places to visit in the States and friends to catch up with. I have nieces and nephews that couldn't walk when I left that are now running and playing. I think it has finally hit me that I have been gone far too long. I need to get a normal job and have a normal life. This stuff is great but life don't last forever and I better start a family before I get too old and gray (or dead).I could move to Vegas and find me a “cougar”. :)

So anyway, I was sitting at the chow hall tonight and was reminded of the bar scene from Star Wars. This place is great. You see everyone from everywhere and all sorts of different clothes and uniforms and guns and everything. I will miss the diversity. I am the worst writer but I will try to relay to you a story from Ocean Cliffs. Hopefully I haven't already told this one. Bear with me because it is difficult to explain to someone that hasn't been here.

We used to have Gurkhas guarding the exits. They were replaced with Peruvians (for the most part). The Nepalese and the Peruvians look very similar to each other to the Iraqis. I watched an Iraqi and a Peruvian have a conversation and it went sort of like this:

The Iraqi was making fun of the Peruvian by calling him Buddha and rubbing his belly. The Peruvian was trying to explain that he was Christian by making the sign of the Cross. So the Iraqi decided to rub his “Buddha” belly while he danced around and sang like a native American indian. You know “Hiya yiya hiyayaya etc”.

To this the Peruvian replied:

“You Muslim, you go church 5 times, you Allah Akbar, Allah Akbar,” The he made a shooting gesture and said “Allah Akbar, see baby, bang, see another baby, bang” and pretended to shoot babies with his imaginary gun.

I swear it was the funniest thing I ever saw. Hopefully you guys can get that, I really suck at telling stories.

Anyway, I will miss stuff like that. But I will not miss the danger and I will not miss the heat. I am getting back to SC right when it starts to get cold and I am looking forward to putting on a leather jacket for the first time in years. I have never been one to like the cold, but after this I may change my mind. When I was stationed at Fort Drum NY I swore that I would request the hottest place I could think of for my next assignment and chose and was awarded Fort Hood TX. That thawed my bones. I think I need the reverse now. Some good cold will do me good. Just a little cold though. Heat is miserable, but cold is painful.

Anyway, enough of all that. I bought a movie called Poseidon and I am going to watch it. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

Cheers,
Walt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home